Thursday, May 19, 2011

Is silence really golden?

    There are times when you know things are ordained by God.
As I was sitting down to write this blog, I clicked on the blog of one of the pastors of the church I’m on staff at.
  http://bigcloudmusic.blogspot.com/2011/05/solitude-of-running-alone.html 
He has written about the very thing that has been on my heart the past week.

Silence.

When is the last time you were really silent before God?
No background music or TV.
Not even praying.
Have you ever really just been silent before God and allowed Him to speak?

Mother Teresa said “If we really want to pray, we must first listen: for in the silence of the heart God speaks.”

    God spoke to Samuel in the middle of the night because this was the only time Samuel was silent. He, like many of us, had obligations and duties to attend to. Samuel worked in the church every day and when God spoke he didn't recognize His voice.

Would we know that voice?

    How easy it is to fill our lives with actions and noise to a point where we are uncomfortable with silence. I feel more comfortable (even more spiritual to be honest) if I have music in the background. 


There have been countless times that I have missed the voice of God because I have been being “Spiritual.” There have been times working at the church that I have been “to busy” to Pray. There have also been times when I have been too busy praying to listen to the voice of God. All of these things are really just an excuse for me not to face the things I am uncomfortable with. Sitting in silence waiting for God to speak to me doesn’t fit into the comfortable lifestyle I have created.
I must constantly be doing something. 


Even in my faith, I am quick to forget that God has called me to “Be still and know that He is God.” 

    Jesus warned against praying with many words. (Matt. 5:7)  I believe that prayer is about us aligning our hearts with the heart of God and taking time to hear from him. There is nothing we can say that he doesn’t already know.

Make it a point to set aside times of silence.  Next time you're in your car, turn off the radio and just listen. For many of us this will be awkward and uncomfortable but if we allow God to move and speak to us, we will find that we will begin to recognize His voice.

What do you think?
Join the conversation in the comment section.

No comments:

Post a Comment